Amounts of fines
If an enforcement reveals that a motor vehicle has no valid e-vignette, a fine for unauthorized road use, corresponding to the category of the motor vehicle, will be imposed on the owner or the operator. See the table below for the amounts.
(if paid within 60 days)
(if paid beyond 60 days)
D1 / D2 / U
Amounts of fine differences
If an enforcement reveals that a motor vehicle has a valid authorization for a lower vehicle category than the category corresponding to it, a fine difference must be paid. If the enforcement reveals that the motor vehicle has a valid authorization for a vehicle category not lower than the category corresponding to it, no fine shall be payable. See the table below for the amounts of the fine difference:
Vehicle category purchased
Vehicle category applicable to the vehicle
D1 / U
D1 / D2 / U
The road use authorization is invalid
- if purchased for the wrong vehicle category (e.g. a trailer is towed by a bus with a category B2 authorization (instead of B2+U), or a category D1 weekly or monthly authorization was purchased for a passenger car for 7 or more persons instead of category D2);
- if the registration number on the counterfoil or in the confirmation message is different from the registration number of the vehicle;
- if the validity of the e-vignette has expired or has not commenced;
- if the country code on the counterfoil or in the confirmation message is different from the actual country code on the vehicle’s number plate;
- if the vehicle has an annual authorization for a given county but it is not used between the junctions specified in the decree, i.e. it is used on the toll road network of another county.
Fine imposed upon roadside inspection
Where enforcement is performed by stopping the motor vehicle, the driver shall stop at the checkpoint. If the vehicle does not have a valid road use authorization, a fine or fine difference corresponding to the vehicle’s category must be paid, or, if certain conditions are met, the required road use authorization, corresponding to the vehicle category, must be purchased. This is only permitted if the vehicle did not undergo another enforcement establishing unauthorized road use on the same calendar day before the 60th minute prior to being stopped for enforcement.
During enforcement, a fine can only be imposed if
- the vehicle subject to enforcement is proved to have undergone toll enforcement before the 60th minute prior to being stopped for enforcement (an electronic recording is available thereof), and the previous toll enforcement established unauthorized road use;
- the enforcement takes place during or within 60 minutes after the outage of the central enforcement system of NTPS Plc., published on the Company’s website;
- the customer rejects the option to purchase authorization during the roadside inspection.
The fine can be paid on the spot via bank card and in cash, as well as in any customer service office, with a cash transfer order via post (“yellow cheque”), or via bank transfer (detailed information about the latter opportunities can also be found in the brochure attached to the fine report).
The base fine must be paid within 60 days. The payment deadline shall be calculated from the day of the roadside inspection.
Fines imposed during electronic enforcement
If an electronic enforcement has been performed based on the registration number, the fine can be paid after receiving the payment notice in any customer service office, with a cash transfer order via post (“yellow cheque”), or via bank transfer (detailed information about these opportunities can be found in the payment notice letter and in the attached brochure, as well as in the document available via the link at the bottom of the page).
The payment deadline (60 days for base fines) shall be calculated from the day of receiving the fine payment notice letter.
Maximization of fines
The maximization of fines can be requested if a driver used toll sections several times mistakenly believing that their vehicle had a valid e-vignette, and they realized that they were wrong only at receiving the first fine payment notice. In this case it can be assumed that a longer period passed between the first unauthorized road use and the receipt of the resulting notice.
If, therefore, more than two unauthorized road uses occurred, the road user (the owner or the operator of the vehicle) meeting certain conditions as specified in the Toll Decree may request, either in person or in writing, the maximization of fines to no more than two fines.
If it is not the owner or the operator acting in the case, the power of attorney of the private individual concerned or the official authorization of the legal entity concerned must be presented along with the application. When the person acting is authorized to sign for the company, the specimen signature shall also be presented. In both cases, the authorized representative acting in person shall present their personal identification documents to prove their identity, or attach a copy of their personal identification documents if the petition is submitted in writing.
Criteria for a positive assessment of the petition:
- The petition may only be submitted within 75 calendar days from the receipt of the first payment notice either in writing addressed to the postal address of the National Toll Payment Services Plc. or in person at any of the customer service offices.
- Contrary to the previous regulation, the owner or the operator may apply for the maximization of fines more than once in a calendar year.
- NTPS Plc. shall assess the petition within 30 days and notify the petitioner of its decision. The deadline for the payment of the full amount of the maximized fine, i.e. the total of two fines, is 30 days from the receipt of the decision.
Fine payment by bank transfer
If you wish to pay by bank transfer, please make sure that the following information is indicated on the transfer order:
Name of account holder: National Toll Payment Services Plc. (Nemzeti Útdíjfizetési Szolgáltató Zrt.)
Account number: K&H Bank 10402142-49555557-57541179
IBAN: HU58 10402142-49555557-57541179
Cost bearer’s code: OUR / BEN
Please indicate the following information in the Comments field:
- the word “Pótdíj” (fine),
- the serial number of the report drawn up during the roadside inspection or the identification number of the payment notice,
- the date of enforcement and the vehicle category (D1, B2).
More information about fines
- Payment of the base fine is due 60 days after receipt of the notification, which means that past the due date the motorist concerned has to pay the maximum fine, which is legally enforceable (e.g. through order for payment).
- The fine shall be subsequently paid by the owner (operator) of the motor vehicle appearing in the motor vehicle’s records kept by the transport agency.
- The fine is collected by NTPS Plc., and the Company or the intermediate body employed by it may also charge their costs demonstrated to have been incurred in connection with the collection of the fine.
- The fine for unauthorized road use may only be imposed once per registration number and calendar day.
- If the short-term road use of the vehicle travelling the toll road network without a valid e-vignette stretched over to the next calendar day (i.e. the journey started before midnight and ended after midnight), but no more than 60 minutes passed between the first and last detection of unauthorized road use, only one fine can be imposed.
- All other fine-related issues shall be governed by the relevant decree.
Fine collection procedure applicable to vehicles with foreign country codes
NTPS Plc. avails itself of the assistance of foreign partner agencies for collecting the fines imposed on vehicles with foreign country codes using the Hungarian toll road network without e-vignettes or with the wrong type of e-vignettes. Due to a lack of agreements with the relevant countries, our Company does not have direct access to the registries that would allow for the identification of the owners or operators of the specific vehicles based on their registration numbers. Therefore, NTPS Plc. uses the services of companies with direct or indirect access to the registries of the countries concerned. Currently, our Company has 3 contracted agencies enabling us to conduct fine procedures with regards to 22 countries.
We must stress, however, that the provisions of Decree 36/2007 (III. 26.) of the Ministry of Economy and Transport (GKM) (hereinafter: Toll Decree) and Decree 37/2007 (III. 26.) of the Ministry of Economy and Transport (GKM) apply to all vehicles with Hungarian and foreign country codes. Therefore, NTPS Plc. is committed to enforcing the fine payment obligation under the Toll Decree in the case of the latter group as well.
During the procedure, the companies contracted for collection use the basic data made available to them to retrieve the ownership data of the relevant vehicles, based on which they mail the payment notices and collect the fines on behalf of NTPS Plc. During the enforcement of a claim abroad, the companies contracted for fine collection collect not only the fine payable to NTPS Plc. but also an amount equal to all their administrative costs relevant to the collection and determined in a contract and/or by the laws and regulations of the country concerned (data retrieval, postal, communication, office administration, collection and, if needed, court expenses). The administrative costs always adhere to the rules and regulations of the law of the country concerned.
Pursuant to the provisions of the Toll Decree, our partners not only collect fines but also manage cases related to e-vignettes with wrong registration numbers or country codes and provide information about the maximization of fines if the required documents are available to the customers.
The owners or operators of vehicles with foreign country codes may, of course, contact the Call Center or the customer service offices of NTPS Plc. to settle their fine issues. Important: even when directly paying the fine to our Company, our customers are not exempt from the payment of the costs incurred due to the cooperation of our partners, for the settlement of which the companies contracted for the collection of fines may submit their claims.
Click here>> for the full list of our partner agencies.
- in person in any of our Customer Service offices
- by mail to our postal address
- Registered office of our Company: 1134 Budapest, Váci út 45. B. épület, where NO in-person case handling is possible.
For the purpose of settling consumer legal disputes, our Company does not have recourse to an arbitration procedure, nor subjects itself to the decisions of an arbitration board. You may address your complaint to the competent board of arbitration.
Contact information of arbitration boards
Please be advised that the arbitration procedure does not extend the fine payment deadline.
(Certain arbitration boards may have multiple email addresses on their respective websites; the information published by our Company lists only one of them.)
The Arbitration Board of the Bács-Kiskun County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Baranya County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Komárom-Esztergom County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Békés County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Nógrád County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Pest County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Budapest Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Somogy County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Csongrád County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Fejér County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Tolna County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Győr-Moson-Sopron County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Hajdú-Bihar County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Veszprém County Arbitration Board
The Arbitration Board of the Heves County Chamber of Commerce and Industry
The Arbitration Board of the Zala County Chamber of Commerce and Industry